As the title of the blog goes, maternity fashion is what I am going to discuss in this blog. Well I had definitely not thought of writing this on my own. Again thanks to all those close friends who suggested it 🙂
I am sure it’s an emotional joyful roller coaster ride from the day you come to know about your pregnancy to the moment you have the baby in your very own hands. Everything suddenly starts changing around you including your body. With the measurements changing week to week ( as the countdown has already began in your head 😉 ) it becomes more difficult to fit in your regular outfits.
First and foremost important thing is not to shudder with horror that you won’t be able to flaunt any fashion. The time is changing. In fact, it’s very very possible and preferable to look like yourself while pregnant. And be yourself means staying true to your own style and looking chic at the same time. When it comes to pregnancy fashion the best examples are given by pregnant celebrities. The reason for this is because they have access to professional stylists who guide them on what to wear and what not to wear. I am sure all of you must’ve seen the recent pictures of Kareena Kapoor, Genelia D’souza, Shilpa Shetty & Shveta Salve 🙂 These celebrities nailed it every time.
I would recommend maternity dresses/midis, loose shirts or t-shirts with stretch properties, stretch pants/skirts, long capes, A line dresses, Empire line, nursing stoles, Horizontal stripes, coats, empire line dresses, . These days you can easily get clothes specially curated for maternity wear which are made with elasticity fabric & comfort being given the utmost importance. The most important thing is letting the tummy breathe in whatever you wear. You can also wear t-shirts/tops with stretch properties and pair it with long capes to hide your tummy. The midis and maternity dresses can be also flaunted with waist belts. T-shirt dresses are also a comfortable option for those initial months. Floor length gowns are specially made for the occasions or events of an expecting mother so she can feel at ease throughout the event and move around hassle free.
For our girls who are more inclined towards ethnic or Indian wear- anarkalis dresses, A line kurtas, Pin tucks, Kalidar suits, Angarkha Kurtas will do the trick. All these outfits are comfortable around the waistline and are easy on the belly bump.
Pic and outfits Courtesy- Momzjoy.com
I would suggest to avoid heels in pregnancy to be safe. If you prefer to wear heels for a special occasion then try to wear short kitten heels or block heels as they have more balance. As your body grows, your centre of gravity changes. Hence its better to avoid stilettos or long pencil heels. It is a personal choice but please don’t harm yourself. You can opt for flat chappals, sandals, boots, sneakers.
Here are some easy tips for all our mommy to be –
- Embrace your baby bump. Celebrities never shied away from flaunting their awesome bump, you should proudly flaunt it too. Go for slimmer cuts and tighter styles because when you show off your bump, the rest of your body tends to look smaller.
- Carry your original style along with you. Nothing will make you feel more comfortable than that.
- Do try Prints they can actually distract away from parts of your body you may be self conscious about and stripes are actually slimming. Horizontol stripes are flattering to spot in pregnancy.
- Buy fashionable maternity clothes and accessories with jewellery and large handbags.
- Choose bright colors and prints. They will automatically make you feel fresh and bright. Try a summery flared maternity dress, printed anarkalis, gowns, midis
- Layering will do the trick for you. Don’t hesitate from trying it. Just do it right way. Cover-ups are an absolute must have in your maternity wardrobe. Wear jackets over anything in your wardrobe , add some scarves,stoles. Try a long cardigan or coverup that makes you look sleek and tall.
- Invest in the right Lingeries. You might need to size up your bra, so don’t shy away from a new set of undergarments. You can also buy nursing bras that will be useful once the little one arrives, giving you complete value for money. Buy stretchable inners, maternity panties. They are maternity must-have. They will definitely be useful for post delivery tummy tuck in.
- Steal you man’s shirts, they are oversized and very good accessory as a cover up on your outfit/tshirt/maxi/midis.
- Don’t forget to wear your confidence , most imprtant of them all 🙂 Be proud of yourself, you’re creating a new life all together.
I have listed down few sites which has exclusive maternity wear collections. I personally loved the collection @momzjoy specially curated from expecting mothers comfortable and stylish. Do check them out for some cool stuff they have for maternity wear.
Now comes my most favourite looks for this year by these expecting divas of my life 🙂
Rutika spotting a white maxi dress in her 9th month, isn’t she looking like an angel straight from the heaven ?
Jyoti making the heads turn in the specially curated Anrakali gown by Nivedita Saboo. Gorgeous isn’t she?
My bestie Ankita, a nature admirer with the authentic taste stayed true to her original style in this blue maxi dress and an earthy outfit by designer Prashant Verma.
I know the post has become too lengthy, but have tried my best to give most of what I could 🙂 Happy Motherhood ladies ! Shine on !
Untill next blog,
Lots of <3,